Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Elder Everton's Birthday

My Birthday happened to fall on the same day as district meeting. I was surprised at how thoughtful they were. The sisters made cupcakes and candles. Sister Everton made cheese cake. Each companionship had a gift for me. The sisters gave me matching hot pads and apron with blue Dutch scenes on them. The zone leaders gave me a tie. They added a birthday greeting on the back of the tie. Utrech Elders gave me a nice card. The Den Bosch Elders gave Sister Everton and me a boat ride on the Den Bosch canals. Everyone went with us on the canal ride as a district outing. Here they are singing "Lang zal je leven" which is the Nederlands equivalent to Happy Birthday. After singing they each said something nice about me. I was surprised how nice it all was. I might have to reconsider having birthdays in the future.


The boat ride was on an electric boat. Here you can see the reflection of the water on the undeside of a bridge.

The canals wind under the old city of Den Bosch


It was warm sunny day. After the boat ride, Elder Calkins wanted an Italian ice. No one else was too interested. Some had no money left.  He and I walked down the narrow road checking out the options. We found what looked to be a good shop. It was busy so once we got service, I told the person helping us 'te samen' which means one order. The group realized Elder Everton was buying and all popped up to get thier favorite flavor. It was the best part of my birthday. 

Sister Everton got mango and I got lemon in honor of Desi who introduced me to lemon ice at Trevi fountain in Rome. Actually, I think lemon is my favorite now. I have my birthday tie on.

As we left the old town we passed the gold dragon that stands in the main round-about in front of the train station. I am not sure what the dragon means.

2 comments:

  1. YAY!!! Lemon Gelato! That was the best. I'm happy you had such a good birthday. I'm happy you're considering celebrating birthdays in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I also really like your tie dad. Well done, Elders.

    ReplyDelete